This is a public service announcement, compiled for commonspace.eu by William Murray
In an effort to combat the spread of the virus, the World Health Organization (WHO) have teamed up with the FIFA, the international governing body of football, to highlight the five most important steps we all must take:
1) Hands – ‘Please wash your hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based solution’
2) Elbows – ‘Cover your nose and mouth with a bent elbow or tissue when you sneeze or cough’
3) Face – ‘Avoid touching your face, particularly your eyes, nose or mouth to prevent the virus from entering your body’
4) Distance – ‘In terms of social interaction, take a step back. Stay at least one metre distance from others.’
5) Feel – ‘If you feel unwell, stay home. Please follow all instructions provided by your local health authorities.’
You can watch the video here
"For the first time ever, we - the entire world - are all playing on the same team. Our opponent is a disease. We need determination, discipline and teamwork to beat the coronavirus. The world of football is united and together we will win."
Sources and useful references:
WHO - ‘Pass the message: Five steps to kicking out coronavirus'
Fifthsense - ‘COVID-19 (Corona Virus) And Smell Loss - Guidance From Fifth Sense Medical Director, ENT UK And The British Rhinological Society'
BBC News - ‘Coronavirus: The fake health advice you should ignore'
Federation of European Microbiologists: https://fems-microbiology.org/expert-update-on-the-sars-cov2-coronavirus-causing-the-covid-19-outbreak/
World Health Organization advice: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
John Hopkins University dashboard:
Photo: The heads of FIFA and WHO come together to agree a strategy to find coronavirus.
The head of EU diplomacy Josep Borrell calls for a more comprehensive approach and more intensive dialogue with Turkey after meeting with his Turkish counterpart in Ankara